Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Challenges of a Hyphenated Lifestyle

Dear Compass Bank,

I just set up a checking account for paying my Compass Visa online. When I registered my account, it asked for my name as it appears on the account. My last name is hyphenated, but the field would not accept a hyphen. This is a bit distressing to me, as my husband and my legal names include a hyphen. Hyphenating a last name is an old practice and millions of people have a hyphen in their last name. My name appears with a hyphen on my credit card statement and on my credit card. Maybe it would be easy enough to pay a programmer to code this field to accept a hyphen, in addition to alphanumeric characters.

I know it is a minor issue, but those of us with hyphenated names will really appreciate this consideration.

Sincerely,
Debby Howell-Moroney

Here is their reply:
Thu 7/31/2008 12:53 AM

You should be able to get registered without the hyphen. If there is anything else we can assist you with do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thank You
Compass Card Financial Services
1-800-239-5175
1-205-297-6086 fax

No comments: