Sunday, August 3, 2008

Fear and Trembling in Birmingham, Alabama

Philippians 2:12-14 (NIV)
12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

What does it mean to be a Christian? Well, that depends. It has always troubled me when people claim to have a handle on what being a Christian means. I also really don't like those billboards that put words in God's mouth, as if God has a pithy little quote for all occasions - mostly humorous or terrifying. I doubt

"You think it's hot here?"
-GOD
is going to get many nonbelievers saved.
To me, working out your salvation with fear and trembling means daily growing deeper in your relationship with God. Through Christ we have freedom. There is no condemnation. The problem we all have (even me) is thinking that God is calling all people to all things. For example, many of my friends feel like God has called them to home school their children. I believe it. However, we have a tendency to feel what is good for us must be right for everyone else, which leads to condemnation. I feel like God has called me to put my kids in public school. This is probably because He has given our family the gift of evangelism. I try not to force what God has called me to do on others and claim that I have the only way.
Another variation of that is what I have heard called, "gift projection." Some who have been given the gift of healing and faith, for example, and have had great success praying for the sick are operating out of their gifting. If, however, they were to claim that every Christian should be able to pray for the sick and get the same result, they would be mistaken. Yes, we are called to pray for the sick - and God may even do miracles of healing through us, but not everyone is "gifted" to do it. What happens is that we are told that we are somehow defective. If we only had more faith we would be able to heal (or be healed!) Who hasn't heard of a person who went for prayer for healing and were told that they must not have enough faith or they would already be healed. We are all called to share our faith with unbelievers, but I would be wrong to condemn anyone who isn't out standing on a street corner preaching the Gospel.
The point is - I can not criticize or condemn - I have to keep reminding myself that we are all living out Philippians 2:12. If I am yielded to the Holy Spirit - He will fix whatever is broken in my theology and faith.
Don't even get me started on the prosperity Gospel...............

No comments: