Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Thanks Dr. Dobson - I Think I Will Vote For Obama After All!

I just hate the neocon Christian email propaganda that gets forwarded to me. Thankfully, anymore, it is usually sent to me to verify, since most of my friends know by now that I HATE FORWARDED EMAIL. (I ESPECIALLY HATE unverified hoaxmail.) I received this email the other day:

Please forward this important update on Barack Obama’s views on Christianity and government to your friends.
Dear *****, On Tuesday, presidential candidate Barack Obama lashed out at Dr. Dobson and accused Dr. Dobson of “making stuff up” about Obama.Nothing could be further from the truth! Here is what happened. On Tuesday's Focus on the Family radio broadcast (paid for by Focus Action), Dr. Dobson and I dissected a 2006 speech in which Obama made some very disturbing statements about his understating of Christianity, the role of religion in government and specifically Dr. Dobson.
Please click
here to watch Obama’s speech, listen to Dr. Dobson’s comments, and more.
Obama compares Dr. Dobson to Al Sharpton .In that 2006 speech, after stating that we are not a Christian nation, Obama directly compared Dr. Dobson to Al Sharpton. Obama then continued with an extremely convoluted discussion of the Bible – from Levitical law to the Sermon on the Mount – that caused Dr. Dobson to say Obama was “deliberately distorting the traditional understanding of the Bible to fit his own worldview.”While Obama’s statements about Dr. Dobson are offensive, Obama’s misunderstanding of the Bible is alarming -- especially considering the blind faith so many of our fellow Americans seem to have in him!
Again, I want you to
hear and see for yourself what Obama said, as well as Dr. Dobson’s comments.
*****, these are extremely important issues that we must contend with. That is why Focus Action sponsored this radio broadcast – and it's why we will not stand by silently as any public figure drags biblical understanding through the gutter or undermines the role of people of faith in our society.Thank you so much for standing with Focus on the Family Action.Tom Minnery Sr. Vice President, Government and Public PolicyFocus on the Family Action


There are few things I can think of that I would like to do less than watch an entire political speech, but that message was screaming, "I double dare you to verify the accusations for yourself!!" But, I must say, thanks Dr. Dobson, after watching and listening to Obama's entire speech, I have just heard everything I needed to hear to feel good about voting for him. That speech had it all - Obama's personal testimony about receiving Christ, his personal view on abortion and the difficulty of attempting to influence the party's platform toward a pro-life stance. A direct reference to Tony Campolo's work. The same totally pro-life Tony Campolo who recently joined the Democratic party's abortion platform committee to try and influence them toward a pro-life stance. Furthermore, Obama never compares Dobson to Sharpton, on the contrary, he uses them as an example of contrasting Christian views.

Funny how the neocons have stayed well away from addressing John McCain's faith, with good reason. On this issue Dr. Dobson says:
"Speaking as a private individual, I would not vote for John McCain under any circumstances," http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53743

I wonder who he will vote for? Ralph Nader?

I invite you to watch Obama's speech, which is linked above, and decide for yourself. Whatever your choice, be sure to vote for someone. Might I suggest Tony Campolo as your write-in candidate.

No comments: