Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Refugee in a Morning Person World...Up At the Crack of Noon

I heard a great statistic awhile back: only 30% of people are morning people, the other 70% are night owls. I tried to track down the source of that stat, but haven't found it yet. I did find another stat - that it's actually 50/50. I don't believe it! It is the GUILT. 20% of the late-nighters gave in to peer pressure and LIED, LIED, LIED! The ranks of the majority need to band together and change the way the world works.......it's just not fair. It is time for the tyranny to end!


I truly believe I am meant to live somewhere else in the world - perhaps a Polynesian Island or maybe South America. Maybe I was born without an adrenal gland (or maybe some Hunter S. Thompson fanatic stole it). I just do not get enough sleep. I am forced out of bed every Monday through Friday during the school year, at 6:00 AM. My kids' bus stops in front of our house at 6:37. Yes, I do mean AM. We live two miles from the school and school doesn't start until 8:00. Last year I prayed to God, "Please God, let them change the bus route, so the kids don't have to get on the bus at 6:45 anymore." That's when we ended up with 6:37. God is definitely refining me like silver.

The only thing worse than living in a morning person world would be if my husband were a morning person. Thankfully he is like me, although he is slightly more energetic in the morning. Two of our three children are morning people - don't ask me how that happened. Our oldest daughter, Maddy, is exactly like I was as a child. She has terrible insomnia and wants to stay up and read. In the morning she is nearly impossible to get out of bed. She has gotten more skilled at getting ready for school and has learned to sleep on the bus. Someday, when it is no longer my job to drag her out of bed, she and I will be the best of friends.

So if you are reading this and you are a morning person, know that you are in the minority (now where is the site on that darn statistic). Raspberries to you and your whole culture of clock-watchers and the early-riser patriarchs who crafted our society on guilt and and sun-worship. I am not lazy and you will not make me feel guilty. Now be quiet, I am going back to sleep.

No comments: